Historic Depot Plaza, City of Tucson
Lloyd Construction completed a major historic renovation of the train depot in Downtown Tucson and brought it back to life as the new Historic Depot.
The City of Tucson acquired the depot in 1998 with the intent of using this historically significant structure as the cornerstone of the revitalization of the eastern portion of downtown Tucson. This major renovation restored the depot to its 1941 Spanish Colonial Revival appearance. Most of the 1941-era floor plan and interior spaces were restored or recreated. Lloyd Construction took special care to locate the original mine from which the stones in the terrazzo floor were taken and to repair the floor with additional stones from the same mine. Double-hung window sashes were blasted with walnut shells instead of sand, keeping the original profile intact in order to comply with historic preservation requirements.